Sunday, April 8, 2007

Drinking Drinks

I have been perusing the postings of some friend’s blogs (which I used to think were one of the most ridiculous inventions), and appreciating the humor that comes out of the most simple things in life. This goes right along with my previous post and the idea that is it these seemingly minor things in life that really make it great.

And this led me to think about beverages. Now, I share this with some hesitation due to childhood trauma inflicted by my brother who used to joke about me and my fondness of “fun” drinks. As if it were my only hobby, he would tease, “You love drinking cool drinks”. He meant it in a loving way, but I became a bit paranoid about sharing my love of certain beverages…although I will admit that I really did enjoy trying new and interesting drinks. Virgin pina coladas, strawberry lemonade, sparkling cranberry/orange/raspberry/who-knows-what-else specials found on restaurant menus.

“Dad”, I would lean over and whisper as we went out for a birthday or Christmas celebration at Red Lobster, “Can I get this drink?” I would ask him innocently as I pointed to the menu, trying to keep it on the down-low that I once again wanted the opportunity to entertain my taste buds and try something new and exciting. And knowing that I would once again hear my brother mock me: “You love drinking drinks.” Yeah, yeah, I know.

Now, much of this drink consumption (and I’m not talking alcoholic-necessarily) has been halted due to my increased awareness of these pesky little things called “calories” and this other annoying substance called “sugar”. But I’ll be honest, that love of certain beverages still lurks inside of me…they are my “Bavarian sugar cookies” (see post above). And this is proved to me as I sit at my desk, looking at the 3 different cups/mugs staring mockingly at me. Coffee, water, and an empty mug often filled with unusual teas.

Erin, a friend at work, recently posted about Diet Coke, which is what actually made me think about the whole beverage phenomenon. I think I got roped into the whole artificially sweetened drink-thing that I used to be so opposed to when I started working at ECCU. Constantly surrounded by co-workers unknowingly enticing me into the pleasure-filled world of calorie-free drinks. Erin’s post cracked me up, because it really is a great (yet mostly artificial) beverage. I mean, why is that when I forget to pack a diet soda in my lunch, I will scrounge through my wallet and purse and car about 5 times to find every last dime and nickel, hoping to find exactly $.65 in order to have that glorious diet coke from the vending machine at lunch? It’s sad, really.

And then there’s wine – and no, I don’t drink it every night or scrounge for money to be able to buy it, so don’t be thinking I’m a lush. But it’s a symbol of many things to me, and there’s something very pleasant about drinking it (and not just because it makes you feel pleasant). But really the first times I enjoyed wine were in countries where it is part of the culture, and so much more than just a means to drunkenness.
In France it is an atmospheric part of a meal which lasts for hours, enjoyed as part of a ritual, a role in bonding with friends and family over good conversation and rich food. Or as part of a grown-up dessert of wine and cheese. It is sipped slowly, for taste, each representing a different region from whence it came.
And in Italy…what goes better with pizza or pasta? A rich, smooth glass of red wine, cultivated in their own backyards. It is part of tradition, of culture, an experience of sorts. And there was something in the back of my head dreaming, “maybe one day a nice-looking man will take me out for an elegant dinner and we’ll chat over a glass of wine.” In the mean-time, my friend Lindsay and I would have to romance each other along the Grand Canal, splitting the cost of a small bottle of wine. When I returned to the United States, drinking wine reminded me of those times, of those cultures of which I had became very fond. It was a classy, enjoyable, grown-up drink which encompassed so many memories and people and places, having nothing to do with the fact that it makes one’s head feel fuzzy

And then there’s the most popular beverage of choice - coffee. I’ll quote my favorite television show- Gilmore Girls. A male teacher is trying to ask out the main character, Lorelai, and asks, “Do you like coffee?” To which she dryly responds, “Only with my oxygen.”
Ah, yes, I know the feeling. It’s a mystery as to what makes coffee so wonderful…but allow me to throw in another quote. “This seems to be the basic need of the human heart in nearly every great crisis - a good hot cup of coffee.” ~Alexander King.

Again, I completely agree. It tastes good, it’s soothing, it wakes you up (unless you’re immune, like me, or just totally unaware of its effects), it’s a huge part of our social practices, you can find it anywhere in the world, and you can have it in just about any form. Perhaps it is the joy found from something so simple as a small paper cup, full of rich, dark, aromatic liquid which, with just one whiff comforts you, brings back memories, begins or ends a day, swishes warmly through your mouth as it slides smoothly down your throat, and then brings a smile to your lips as it warms you like a blanket.

So okay, yes, I like drinking drinks, I admit it. My brother was right and I can’t pretend like he wasn’t. But I would argue that many other people feel the same way – perhaps about coffee, or diet coke, or tea, or alcoholic beverages. Whatever the reason may be, it is a huge part of our social culture, our experiences, our memories, our vices. And it is one of those little things make our days that much more enjoyable, even tolerable. Cynthe knows what I mean: “Happiness is a cup of coffee in the morning.”

No comments: