Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Sad Day

Today is a sad day for me…a day of mourning and regret. It is the end of an era, the loss of a happy time….yes, it’s the TV series finale of my treasured Tuesday night vice, Gilmore Girls. I wrote in a previous post about Bavarian Sugar cookies, the idea of those little things in life that make your day, and add joy to the mundane. And now it as if I have been eating my Bavarian sugar cookies every Tuesday, and this time, someone came over, ripped it ruthlessly from my hand, and took a huge bite out of it. No more sugar cookie for me.

If you know me at all, you know that Gilmore Girls has a significant role in my life, as sick as that is. Some people watch sports, other gossip about Hollywood fashion and who’s dating who….but I watch Gilmore Girls. Every Tuesday night. And not just Tuesdays, oh no, that’s only when a new one is on. But when those aren’t playing, I am often watching DVD’s from previous seasons while I eat, or check e-mail, or just feel like doing relaxing.

It’s like…the ultimate show. Funny, dramatic, full of pop culture humor, and characters that talk faster than any normal person would ever talk, but with each line so full of wit and brilliance. The characters are unique and random, and you never know what to expect. It’s not forced, it’s not predictable, it’s not a lame sitcom or overly dramatic mystery show. In fact, it rarely has a really good point or deep lesson. But sometimes the characters do or say things that remind me so much of myself, I can’t help but find it humorous and be amazed. It captures daily life and unique, quirky people, and actually makes you think that living in a tiny town with nosy people would be fun. I say, it’s one of the best-written and most creative shows on TV. And it’s leaving me. I’m not quite sure what to do with myself. Cry, I suppose…whine…hold a memorial service…and then I think I will get on with my life like a normal person...

No comments: