Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Lectio Divina

Last night, as part of this seeking God in our church, I set aside plenty of time to just be with God. But I've been reading through Genesis, basically starting over in the bible to go through it again. And something about that just didn't fit in with my pursuit of him and waiting to hear his voice this week as far as vision and direction. So I ended up in Proverbs, where I went back to one that i had read recently but had stuck out to me. And then I remembered the practice of Lectio Divina, a long, meditative, repetitive study of the scripture.

And it made me wonder why I don't do this more. It's such a good way of getting scripture stuck in your head, knowing verses and where they're found and their context. After you read a passage multiple times, through and through, it gets stuck in there pretty good. If only i did that more, I may not have tons of scripture memorized, but I would come a lot closer and much more on my mind at all times. And it allowed to see things I hadn't seen before, understand God speaking to me in new ways, and trying to reiterate ideas to me that haven't been getting through, but finally made sense.

It also showed me how tired I actually am. i started praying (step 3 of the process of lectio divina) and nearly fell asleep. I think that was around 9:00. Who knew that if I just stopped in the evening, I could just crash like that? This insane busyness keeps us aware that we must be tired, but prevents us from seeing just how tired we are. Maybe if I got more rest, I would actually do better at everything during my waking hours.

And tonight, from some prompting from God and other ideas around me, I'll be praying for ministry in particular. Which is something I always want to pray a lot for, but just don't seem to make enough time.

1 comment:

Mylah Stanton said...

I agree that we get stuck in the busyness of our lives...our bodies, minds, and spirits cry out for rest. We need to get together so I can learn more about Lectio Divina.