Saturday, August 22, 2009

Community

"Community" is a trendy Christian buzz word right now. Luckily, this - and other hot topics like social justice - are great trends in my mind, because it feels like we're getting more serious about actually reading what the bible commands and then looking at ourselves and our churches to see how well we're obeying. Just so long as we don't get so caught up in the ideas that we forget the bigger purpose behind them of making Christ known.

I think community has become a relevant topic to me because I see more and more how important it is - and how amazing it can be. Especially for an introvert who is not inclined towards living life in community. But what I'm referring to is not just small groups from church, or hanging out over coffee or a meal with friends - specifically I mean the type of community that is on mission together. The kind that exists when you all share a similar mindset, passion, purpose and calling. When that community spurs one another onto good deeds and lifts each other up when the vision and passion get lost in weariness or frustration.

Generally as Christians we connect well with other Christians, just as we do with people who enjoy playing the same sports that we do, or have the same political views or work in the same field. If we share a strong passion or belief about something important in our lives, we tend to form immediate bonds that are harder to forge with others outside of that 'circle'. But even more so, I am finding that the people I quickly and easily connect with - almost regardless of personality or background - are those who share a passion for serving the 'least of these' and are actually doing something with that passion. The more meaningful sharing and living my faith becomes to me, the more I care about the poor and needy out in the world who don't know the love of Jesus. So when I meet people with the same heart who are probably already doing way more than me, it's an enormous encouragement. I feel an instant bond and understanding when we talk. We get what each other is saying without having to say too much.

To drill down more, I've seen this truth play out in ministry. I've made some incredibly close friends doing Broken Hearts ministry in Hollywood. And even those I'm not as close with, I truly care about and relate to uniquely because we're out there working together for God and because of God. There is a pretty big range of personalities, some of which I wouldn't typically be drawn to or that can even rub me the wrong way (and me them, no doubt). But I've found that when there's tension and we work to get past it for the sake of our calling, I just love them that much more. And it never feels terribly hard to get past it because I have more patience and grace when I know their heart for serving God.

When I get frustrated or feel tired or overwhelmed with serving, I can look at these people and see that they're still going and it helps to keep me focused and encouraged. Hopefully I'm able to do the same for them. Hopefully we can all carry each other when things get tough. I think that's one of the biggest reasons for, and blessings of, community. To never grow tired of doing good; to run the race and fight the good fight.

I was amazed to see how powerful that bond is this week. I had a few days - and one in particular - that I was just tired of people. I didn't want to be around anyone, I just wanted to be quiet and be alone with God. No small talk, no long discussions, no mindless chatter or need to be social. I just wanted to be still and quiet and have some time to think. One of those fell on the night of prayer and worship that our church does, which my small group attends together. I wasn't looking forward to all of the people, but I also knew I'd have some good alone time there with God.

When the evening started, I sat quietly with my small group, my eyes closed to dwell on God and block out everything else. As worship continued I noticed two of my friends from ministry, one of them who rarely attends our church because he lives further away. I made a beeline to go say hi to them, and was actually a little surprised how excited I was to see them and greet them with hugs. I decided to stay with them for a bit, realizing we never really get the opportunity to worship in this way together. And standing there between them, it was like my annoyance with people and need to be secluded went away. While I was with my fellow laborers, I was totally content and excited to worship God in that micro-community.

The following night was Broken Hearts. After an hour of prayer together beforehand on behalf of Hollywood, our friends there, and each other, I ended up in a conversation with Jorge, one of the guys I'd seen at church the night before. He began sharing what he'd been thinking about and learning from reading scripture, and his hopes to move to Hollywood soon. Up until now, with the exception of our ministry leaders, I've felt alone in my desire to move to Hollywood to grow community there with the people we serve. As he shared his desire to follow Christ, to die to himself and his desires to make Christ known, and his wishes to live in the area where he's already making a huge impact, I resonated with much of what he said and felt. I couldn't help but smile as I listened and my heart began to soar. Knowing that our hearts are in a similar place and we both want to build the community in Hollywood gave me great joy and encouragement. Because knowing that many of us are working towards the same goal with similar vision means that more people can hear about Christ. That maybe more hope and salvation can come to Hollywood. When you're just a few people, and you walk or drive down those streets, it can be overwhelming how much work there seems to be done. But at the same time, it's exciting to think about the opportunity - when you cast your net in a big lake, with lots of hands to pull it in, the chances of catching something are much better.

I think this is what 'family of Christ' is really supposed to mean.

"Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching." - Heb. 10:23-25

No comments: